Before entering public office, Martha Schrader was an entomologist, a schoolteacher and a librarian. From 1982 until 2012, she owned and operated Three Rivers Farm in Canby, growing and selling local organic produce. She is the proud mother of five children and three grandchildren. In her free time, Martha enjoys cooking meals for friends and kayaking on the Clackamas River and around Willamette Falls.
Martha was elected to the Clackamas County Board of Commissioners in May 2012 and was appointed vice chair of the board in 2014 and 2020. She previously served as Commissioner from 2003 to 2009 and was Commission Chair from 2005 to 2007. Martha represented District 20 as a State Senator from 2009 to 2011.
Martha holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell University, a Master’s degree in entomology from the University of Illinois, and a Master’s degree in education from Portland State University. She has taken doctoral courses in public policy and administration from Portland State University. She is also a Fellow with the American Leadership Forum.
Martha Schrader is a no-nonsense leader with the knowledge and experience to serve Clackamas County.
- Addressing regional housing needs by pursuing affordable housing capacity and tackling the ongoing homelessness problem
- Supporting local business expansion and retention
- Promoting economic development through reducing development barriers
- Addressing childcare needs affecting providers, employers and families
- Collaborating with local community colleges, businesses and other community partners to develop and strengthen the workforce
Martha serves on the following:
- Association of Oregon Counties (AOC)
- Executive Committee, Immediate Past President
- Board of Directors
- Governance and Revenue Committee Co-Chair
- Vice Chair of Community Solutions Advisory Committee
- Legislative Committee Member
- National Association of Oregon Counties (NACo)
- Chair of Community Economic and Workforce Development Steering Committee
- Member Services Committee Member
- Large Urban County Caucus Member
- Clackamas Workforce Partnership Ex-Offico Board Member
- Greater Portland, Inc. Ex-Officio Board Member
- Liaison to Water Environment Services
- Liaison to Economic Development Department
- Willamette Valley Experiment Station Board Member
- Liaison to Willamette Falls Heritage Foundation
- Vice Chair, International Development Committee
Martha’s recent accomplishments in office include:
- Secured $160 million in bond allocations to acquire land for affordable housing
- Helped open the Veterans Village to provide housing and critical services for veterans in Clackamas County experiencing homelessness
- Passed county policies that promote healthy pollinators in county parks and rights of way
- Worked to secure high-quality health care centers, including mental health services for people in crisis
- Supported workers and businesses through international trade initiatives